Tuesday 3 September 2013

What I'm Playing Game Review - Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories Playstation, Super Mario Sunshine GameCube, Kirby's Dreamland Gameboy and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Playstation 3


Here's a list of games that I'm playing for a second time, some newer and some from when I was much younger. 

Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories Playstation


This was one of my favourite games when I was 9 back in 2002. I had never finished the game as I didn't ever totally grasp how to win or build a deck of cards good enough to beat some of the bosses on this game. The gameplay is simple, duelling various opponents to collect new more powerful cards allowing you to build a 40 card deck that is good enough to beat some of the games toughest duellists. The biggest flaw in this game is that when you lose a duel, it is game over and you have to continue from your last save point by loading it from the main title page. Luckily the game gives you ample opportunities to save the game after every duel, but if you forget it is very frustrating to have to start again. 


Here is a picture of gameplay during a duel. The game allows fusions to produce more powerful monsters, this is vital to win duels in the early stages of the game. As the game progresses, fusions become less useful as more powerful cards are available for your deck and as the ranking of the duel is calculated by the number of cards used, fusions use up your cards quicker thus giving you a lower ranking. This games has stood the test of time and is still playable now, regardless of the bad graphics and predictable storyline. As a Yu-gi-Oh fan, I give this game 8/10.

Super Mario Sunshine GameCube 


Yet another game from my childhood, the Nintendo GameCube was one of my favourite consoles as a young teenager and Super Mario was one of my favourite games to play on it. The game is set on Isle Delfino, where a Mario look a like (Shadow Mario) has defaced the island with sludge and graffiti and Mario is ordered to clean the isle with his FLUDD device, collect 'Shine Sprites' to bring the sun back to the island and save princess peach from Shadow Mario,which is asking a lot from an Italian plumber if you ask me. 


The FLUDD (Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device) allows you to hover, squirt and launch into the air with the various nozzles that are available in the game. The game also has built in 3D platformer challenges which is my favourite part of the Mario games. I love this game and the console so would have to give it 9/10.

Kirby's Dreamland Gameboy


As a child the only games I would ever play on my Gameboy was Pokémon red and yellow (Which I have lost :(), and my sister would always play Kirby which I was never interested in until recently. The 8-bit platformer has so much character making the lack of modern graphics irrelevant. The idea of the game is to reach King Dedede who has stolen all of the food from Dream land.


This gameplay shot shows one of the most memorable bosses from the game, Whispy Woods. May favourite concept of the game is that Kirby has the ability to inhale objects or enemies and use them projectiles or just swallow them. The game has no save function so when it is game over or you switch the Gameboy off, you have to start from the beginning which I learnt the hard way. A great blast from the past, 6/10.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim


So finally is a game that probably everyone has played by now, Skyrim! I was late to the Skyrim scene but frigging love this game. The premise of the game is you are a warrior, who is 'Dragon born' and you and you alone, have the ability to find out and stop the reason why the dragons are returning from the dead and attacking Skyrim. You have the option to choose your character for the game and I chose an elf. There are highly detailed websites dedicated to the fine details of the Skyrim game and landscape (elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/skyrim) so I won't bore you with those details. The game is First person but you can switch to third person if you prefer to play the game in this way. The controls are simple and levelling up and improving powers is simple with an easy to follow menu. I chose to play as an elf as I was going to use a bow as my primary weapon, but it turned out I couldn't resist using magic all the time! I used my bow for stealthy attacks, but just ended up burning and frying all of my enemies to death. 



There is a screenshot of a dragon from the game and beware once a dragon is attacking you, you cannot runaway, it will follow you until either you or it is dead. I good tactic I used when being chased by a dragon when I wasn't powerful enough to kill it, was to run to an area with other people or creatures, who would also fight it and kill it for me :). The landscape of the game is vast and rich with highly decorative graphics that make the gameplay stunning. There are more monsters and creatures than you can think of around every corner leading to an exhilarating experience. I used to play the Lord of The Rings games on the Playstation 2 and always wished that someone would create a game the took all of the combat elements from these games and mixed them with the free roaming ability of the GTA games, and here it is!!! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment